Who is a "student of concern"?
CARE Team referrals encompass a broad range of student concerns, many of which are often independent of any behavioral concern about a student and/or indicate a lower-level concern that does not typically warrant an urgent intervention. Examples of non-behavioral referrals include
- the loss of a loved one
- unusual financial difficulties
- food or housing insecurity
- feeling overwhelmed with the transition to college life
- relationship and family concerns
- short- or long-term illness or injury
- challenges getting involved and connected
Other CARE Team referrals involve specific behavioral concerns, such as:
- thoughts of suicide
- severe emotional distress
- disruptive behavior
- drastic changes in mood, appearance, or behavior
- threats to the safety of the student or the campus community
If you have information that indicates an immediate safety risk, please call the Department of Public Safety at 206-296-5911.